The Mary Caroe Cup – Match Report

The annual Cricket Club v Village Shop match took place on Saturday 22 August with each team playing for what is now the Mary Caroe Cup. Mary was passionate about Hambledon. She was also a well-loved figure in the village, a shop volunteer, and a tough but fair competitor. It is entirely fitting that this fixture should be named in her memory. Andrew Dunn reports on the match. Many thanks to Ged Hockridge and  Tom Powell for permission to use their photos.

Shop skipper, Martin Thompson, won the toss and elected to bat. 30 overs each had been agreed. Whilst the openers padded up supporters gathered and clouds cleared. Remi Trovo and Guy Saville strode to the crease with opening bowler Nathan Williamson marking out his run up. Nathan was soon in the action knocking out Remi’s middle stump with the fifth ball. Guy’s net practice had clearly paid off with his first two strokes going straight to the boundary. He added a further six runs before first change bowler, Devon MacMillan, removed him for 14. Josh Lott bowled six straight overs removing shop no. 3, Jonny Hinde, in his fourth. Devon followed up with another wicket to remove dangerous looking Harry Wilson for seven care of a spectacular one-handed catch by Sion Griffiths at slip.

Callum McIntyre was in at no. 5. He is a very good cricketer and was soon smacking sixes towards Stephen Dean’s house. He hit 35 before Sion bowled him with what turned out to be a poor delivery of an otherwise flawless five overs. David Gorrod (Deeg) came in at no. 7 to partner club junior, Matthew Haines, who was procured by the shop for an all-rounder role with dad, Jon, putting himself forward for selection by the club (“sorry you get the lesser talent” said Jon to the club). Sean Sinnott also had a choice of two shirts that morning. With the shop in his blood but the club in his heart he chose to play against his volunteer colleagues. Deeg and Matthew both looked good. Deeg hit two good boundaries and called Matthew for a single each time either of them played into a gap.

Club skipper, Andrew Dunn, managed to remove them both care of two good catches while Sion bowled Tony Scott-Bishop before he could hit out. Andy Hinde’s name has featured in club scorebooks and committee records for years but for this fixture his loyalty was to the shop. On this occasion the former opener was bowled by incumbent opener, Woody, for three. Cathy Coleman hit a nice single but was caught and bowled by Andy Abbott. Rob Keir and Jon Petersen looked solid as the bowlers tried to work out how to deal with them. Jon hit a couple of crunching fours. Rob hit a fine boundary himself before he was trapped lbw to Woody. Skipper Martin came to the crease and was unfortunate to fall to Woody for a duck. Alas the shop’s innings came to a close with Jon on nine not out and the scorebook recording a total of 112 in the 28th over. 

Tea was provided in the form of individually bagged sandwiches kindly produced by Bea Cookman in the shop. 

As Martin huddled his players and dispensed Churchillian words of encouragement the spectators wondered whether 113 was in range for the club. Woody and Chase Pusey walked to the crease to face Harry Wilson and Callum McIntyre. Callum was straight in the action removing Woody for two after the big man had driven him down the ground. Sean Sinnott walked to the crease as club no. 3 with jeers ringing out from the boundary. In response he carted Harry for a huge six. He then ran four singles before falling to Guy’s good bowling. Guy then hit the stumps again to remove Josh Lott for just one. Chase looked good at the other end, collecting fours and singles, with Andy Abbott soon doing the same. Deeg then took the ball in his hand and removed Andy for the first of his two wickets. The skipper came to the middle with the score poised at 62 for four in the 15th over. A change of bowling at the other end brought Tony Scott-Bishop into the action. He got the valuable wicket of Chase removing him for what turned out to be a top score of 36 (one more than Callum). Devon looked good on 13 before he was bowled by Deeg. Young talent, Ted Scott, came to the crease having already played a juniors’ match in the morning and having kept wicket for 16 of the shop’s overs. And so it proved that even juniors get fatigued as he was caught and bowled by Guy who finished with figures of three wickets for eight runs off six overs. Jon Haines joined the skipper in the middle as the two of them anxiously chased down the target. Victory for the club came in the 28th over when the score ticked over to 113 with the skipper and Jon not out on 22 and four respectively.  

Reflecting on the match, in a fine speech, Martin noted that this fixture was unthinkable earlier in the summer. Andrew praised all those involved with particular thanks to the spectators who helped make this a good day for the whole village.   

Andy Falk then presented the cup on behalf of Emily Caroe and her family with some touching words of tribute to Mary.    

Special thanks go to Deeg for arranging the magnificent cup, Bea for the sandwiches, Andy Falk for umpiring (very fairly) all afternoon and, of course, Emily Caroe for the gift of champagne and her family’s support. We all look forward to next year’s Mary Caroe Cup. 

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments