Hambledon Parish Council has an Emergency Plan procedure in place in the event of harsh winter weather bringing disruption to the village.
However, there are many simple precautions people can take to make sure they can cope with cuts to power supplies and phone lines, a problem that has affected Hambledon in the recent past and usually caused by high winds or heavy snow.
If power fails so to do household phones as many cannot function without electricity. As a safeguard, make sure you have a stand-by phone that does not need a power supply. The council has a small supply of such phones and if you require one please leave your details at the village shop.
Mobile phones lines can also fail during severe weather and it is worth remembering that the public phone box outside the village shop does not require electricity and will continue to work unless overhead lines have been brought down. Operator, reverse charge and 999 calls are free but you will need to use a bank card for all other calls.
Keep torches handy and make sure that you have a supply of batteries. A battery-operated radio will also come in useful for listening to local radio bulletins. Tune in to BBC Surrey on 104.6FM or Eagle Radio on 96.4FM.
The village website will also carry updates at www.hambledonsurrey.co.uk.
Please keep an eye on your neighbours, particularly those living alone or infirm, especially during cold spells and weather-related disruption.
If conditions are severe the Emergency Plan volunteers will do their best to assist with any individual issues as well as deal with general problems around the village such as fallen branches/snow blocking roads, paths and drives and maintaining contact with external agencies.
The following contacts should be kept handy throughout the winter months.
* Power Cut Helpline: 105
* Scottish and Southern Electricity (power cuts and emergencies): 0800 072 7282. Also visit www.ssepd.co.uk/powertrack for advice and information on specific power failures.
* National gas helpline: 0800 111 999
* Flooding: 0345 988 1188 or 0845 988 1188
* Latest travel information: www.twitter.com/SurreyTravel
* South Western Railway: www.southwesternrailway.com for live rail travel updates.
* Surrey County Council (for on-line updates and advice): www.surreycc.gov.uk/winter
* Waverley Borough Council: Visit the council website at www.waverley.gov.uk to look for updates on local services, including refuse collections. Or ring the switchboard on 01483 523333 during office hours and 01483 523200 for out-of-hours emergencies. Updates can be found at www.twitter.com/waverleybc.
* NHS: 111 for non-life threatening emergency help and advice.
* Emergency Services: 999 in an emergency and 101 for non-emergencies.
This website carries live rail travel information and local weather reports. Please follow the links from the Home menu.
In the village the Hambledon Emergency Team volunteer co-ordinators are Stewart Payne on 07831 393561 and Mike Parry on 07765 242740, assisted by Tim Coleman on 07838 763767 and Nick Watson on 07770 553686.
In the event of severe disruption the volunteers will endeavour to be out-and-about in the village in four-wheel drive vehicles, centred on the village shop.