1944 – 1946
These are the earliest that have so far been found. Only four issues are missing (January, February, June, July 1946)
The format up to December 1946 was no cover, two pages Hambledon news, 8-page insert, two pages local advertisements (all the same).
Inserts comprised Home Words (religious commentary); 2 pp. general (national) church news; 2pp. article with religious connotations; 2pp. weekday (Mon-Sat) pages for Women with Homes; puzzle page.
Only the Hambledon news has been digitised, other than the complete April 1944 issue. This has been selected because the general (national) church news is on central London blitzed churches so should still be of interest and to provide an example of the “Women with Homes” pages which are fascinating wartime social history.
A new Rector appears to have prompted a new design for December 1946 and this is digitised in full.
1947 – 1956
Only four copies exist:
– April and August/September 1948 – digitised in full.
– April and June 1950: cover, Hambledon news, advertisements (identical in both issues) and Home Words. Of these two, only April 1950 has been digitised in full.
There is then a gap until 1957.
1957 – 1960
By January 1957 each Magazine comprised a cover (picture of the Church), Church announcements, local advertisements, the rector’s letter and, sometimes, other village news. “Home Words” and/or the occasional Guildford Diocesan leaflet were occasionally included but have not been digitised. With the exception of “Home Words” the August issue is digitised in full; only the rector’s letter and village news are included in the June, October and December issues.
For the next three years, only one Magazine (February 1958) is missing. Contents remain the same as for 1957 (but “Home Words” – which ceased to be included after October 1957 – and Diocesan leaflets have again not been digitised). March 1958, May 1958 and October 1959 are digitised in full (to reflect changes in advertisements); only the rector’s letter and village news are included in the other issues.
In December 1958 the price was increased from 3d. (the 1944 price) to 4d.
1961 – 1966
Up to 1965 the front cover remained unchanged; from October 1965 – December 1966 a different (commercial) photograph was used for each issue.
Contents remained much as before: Church announcements, the rector’s letter (when there was one) and other news and advertisements. The Guildford Diocesan leaflet (missing from some issues) and, from 1966, Home Words were included as inserts. The January 1961, April 1963, January 1964 and January 1966 issues have been digitised in full to reflect changes in advertisements; other issues comprise only the rector’s letter/other news.
1967 – 1971
The cover reverts to the previous picture of the church. The contents continue to comprise a church diary, church and some village news, advertisements, Home Words and, from July 1967, the Guildford Diocesan newsletter. August 1967 and April and May 1968 are missing.
January 1967, January 1968, January 1969, January 1970 and July 1971 have been digitised in full to reflect changes in advertisements.
In January 1970 the price was increased from 4d (the December 1958 price) to 6d. – which, consequent on decimalisation, became 2 ½ p. in March 1971.
1972 – 1975
The 1971 format and the inserts continued up to April 1973. From January – May 1972 advertisements remained as in 1971; June 1972 has been digitised in full to reflect a couple of changes.
In May 1973 the cover size changed from quarto to A5 (but the church diary and church and village news remained quarto). Advertisements were redesigned to fit 12 to a page (all on the inside back and back cover), as a result of which two disappeared and two newcomers arrived. This issue has been digitised in full and the advertisers remained the same, apart from one change, up to the end of 1975.
In May 1973 News Extra replaced Home Words as the insert; the Guildford Diocesan Leaflet continued.
The September 1973 issue is missing.
The price remained 2 ½p. throughout the period.
1976 – 1979
The A5 format continued for the cover (with advertisements on the inside back and back cover) and, from March 1977, the church diary/church and village news. News Extra and the Guildford Diocesan leaflet continued as inserts.
All 1976 issues are missing. The advertisements had changed slightly by 1977 so the February issue is digitised in full, as are the April 1978 and October 1979 issues to reflect further changes.
The price increased to 3p. in January 1977.
From July 1976 – December 1979 occasional Parish Council notes were issued; presumably these were circulated with the magazines. They have been included at the end of the appropriate months’ issues.
1980 – 1984
June 1981 and November 1982 are missing.
No changes up to December 1980 other than to some of the advertisements: December 1980 and January 1981 have therefore been digitised in full.
All magazines for 1983 and 1984 are missing.
1985 – 1989
The format and inserts (other than News Extra becoming The Sign) remained unchanged until February 1988, after which there are no Guildford Diocesan inserts. There is no indication as to whether the price remained 3p.
Advertisements were largely unchanged other than some additions/rearrangments. July 1985, August 1987 and May 1989 have been digitised in full.
By the late 1980s, in addition to news from the Church and its groups, the magazine was including far more village news.
1990 – 1998
The format remained the same but a survey, conducted at the end of 1990, indicated a wish to cease including “The Sign” in favour of more home-produced material. The price was increased to 15p in January 1991 (presumably there had been previous increases since the price of 3p in January 1977).
To reflect changes in advertisements, the January, May and November 1990, the November 1991 issue and the July 1992 issues are reproduced in full.
From June 1992 the magazine was printed by Worth Printers, Farm Buildings, Hambledon which resulted in changes in the layout of the advertisements. The December 1992 issue, by which time some of the advertisements had also changed is reproduced in full.
Thereafter advertisements were reproduced in the same format but with some enhanced designs. To reflect changes in actual advertisements the September 1994, July 1996 and October 1997 issues are reproduced in full.
In May 1998 it was announced that, to permit even greater coverage of community matters and to extend advertising facilities (and hence income), a revised, A-4 magazine would be published wef June 1998. The present cost (not stated) would not be increased until advertising revenue was final known.
As yet, these have not been digitised but paper copies (other than the January 1999 and December 2002 issues) are housed with the Hambledon Heritage albums in the Sun Room at Cobblers. Please let Jane Woolley know if you would like to visit and browse – 01428 684213 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The postal address is Cobblers, Woodlands Road, Hambledon, Godalming, Surrey GU8 4HL.
These have been digitised and can be found at the end of the historical issues.
Please let Jane know if you come across any magazines that are missing from the historical issues.